McDonald's order trips up Facebook slaying suspect

Adjust Comment Print

FILE - This undated file photo provided by the Cleveland Police shows Steve Stephens. Cleveland police said th.

(AP Photo/James H. Collins, File).

A man who filmed himself killing a 74-year-old man before putting the video on Facebook has taken his own life after a chase.

The murder was later posted to the social media site by the killer, who was said to be distraught over a break-up with his girlfriend.

Police warned Stephens's death might make it harder to prevent similar crimes.

Following a nationwide manhunt, authorities were notified that Stephens' auto had been seen in a McDonald's parking lot near Erie, Pennsylvania on Tuesday morning. "I believe he shot himself". He sped away, and police then hit his auto with their vehicle, causing him to lose control and spin out, at which point Stephens shot himself, Teper said.

Tonya R. Godwin-Baines and Debbie D. Godwin said they know Lane did nothing wrong and wanted her to know it.

Facebook removed the footage in the hours after the attack, and chief executive Mark Zuckerberg acknowledged Tuesday that the world's largest social network had a role to play in stemming the worrisome trend. He said he "just snapped".

"I'm not happy he's dead at all, not at all".

McDonald's employee Henry Sayers said that Stephens acted normal, so you wouldn't have known that he was the subject of a nationwide manhunt by his demeanor.

Facebook murder suspect Steve Stephens' run from justice ended because of a chicken nuggets and fries takeaway, it has emerged. State Police Maj. William Teper Jr. would say only that the tip came from a "concerned citizen". "He was a little nerved up, a little agitated and didn't want to wait, said he had to go".

Stephens killed himself, authorities said.

But Stephens did not want to wait, taking his McNuggets and speeding out of the auto park, almost hitting Gail Wheeler, 54, a retail operations manager from Erie who was on her way home from shopping. She said state troopers weren't far behind. "It was loud and distinctive", Ms Wheeler said. The Ford Fusion did a half-turn and came to rest at the curb.Police were starting to get out of their cruisers when "I heard a shot". She then saw officers approach the vehicle.

They said the chase lasted two miles and that officers had managed to disable Stephens vehicle. It was at this time that the Cleveland suspect put his gun to his head, taking his own life. Stephens' cellphone had been tracked Sunday afternoon near Erie, officials said on Monday.

His Facebook page, with the gruesome video, wasn't removed for almost three hours.